Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Movin' On Up

Much has been said about the revitalization of the Trinity Corridor and the Design District, how we now sensationalize Industrial Blvd. and renamed it "Riverfront", my first qualm being that I give client's the wrong directions about 9 times out of 10, how I see people the gas station on Continental driving aimlessly with their windows rolled down asking how to get to Industrial before I yell out "Your on it!" to their bewildered expressions, or how does Industrial now look resemble anything that you have ever seen named Riverfront...unless we are in New Jersey, with a Kings Cabaret - a pretty shady gentleman's club, a high crime rate (our building has had at least 6 counts of violence or robbery in the last year, with one person being robbed at gunpoint), and a high population of homeless folks that constantly hit you up while your trying to order a Snack Wrap or pump gas, renaming a street should have been the last thing on the ever expanding to do list. However if you want my input, and obviously you do because your reading this, I think we should have stuck with our roots and left the street name alone, have a sense of history instead of trying to commercialize every nook and cranny of Dallas. Yes, we want improvement but I think it needs to represent where we came from first and foremost instead of denying what the area was and really still is. Isn't that how America became a leader in the 19th and 20th century - industrialization? How we are probably in a worse position now because we rely on the rest of world more than ourselves...?

Ok, sorry, I got off on a tangent there. I really wanted to talk about the new showrooms down in the Design District. The firm where I personally work at is in a renovated sewing machine factory and several other design catered companies are moving in right on our street - along with the new locale of the Dallas Contemporary Museum. I will showcase each showroom sometime this month, many are showrooms that were either in the high-rent (I am sure) International on Turtle Creek or on Slocum or Dragon and have traded digs for a somewhat better priced venue, however it is a little hidden from most traffic through the Design District so I just wanted to let you all know what we have on the south side of "Riverfront"...

You also might like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails